Monday, January 5, 2015

My Favorite Places I Want to See


I have traveled much of the area around Oklahoma and Texas. A comprehensive list of places I to which I have traveled include:

  • Oklahoma
  • Texas
  • New Mexico
  • Colorado
  • Louisiana
  • Arkansas
  • Kansas
  • Nevada (Las Vegas!)
  • And, not in the south and the farthest I have traveled, New York City!
However, none of these places are my favorite. In fact, the places I consider to be my "favorite places" are locations I have never actually been to, but it is my dream to see them some day. They are London, Disney World, and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

London, England

The first place I want to travel outside of the U.S. is London. This mainly has to do with my love for Harry Potter (which you might have guessed at from another place on my favorites list), but it also has to do with my love for Doctor Who and my general fascination with Britain.

Twilight over London from New Zealand High Commission

Twilight over London from New Zealand High Commission:
Geograph.org

It's on my bucket list to visit this beautiful city! I want to see a play at Shakespeare's globe among other tourist-y things.


Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida

I think it will be easier to visit this favorite place first as it would be slightly less expensive and significantly closer. I never went to Disneyland or Disney World as a kid, but (since I grew up in the 90's) I was and continue to be a Disney kid. Even though I am 22-years-old, I feel no shame whatsoever admitting that I desperately want to go to Disney World and that I watch Disney movies regularly.


Cinderella Castle, the icon of Magic Kingdom:
Wikipedia

Disney is place for children of ALL ages. Even 22-year-old kids like me.


The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Orlando, Florida

As I said before, I love Harry Potter. I'm currently rereading the series and I'm on the Half-Blood Prince. Harry Potter is the reason I love books and reading. Like pretty much every other person who has read the books, I've always wanted J.K. Rowling's wizarding world to be real, to visit Hogwarts and Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley... and now I can!


Hogwarts Castle in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter:
Wikipedia

Only about 20 minutes from Walt Disney World (depending on traffic), my dream vacation would be to visit the two theme parks on my list on the same trip!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun trip that would be, Shelby - one or two or all three of these! A student in Indian Epics went to Wizarding World during the semester last semester, and that was perfect because she was writing Harry-Potter-themed stories for her project in that class (the Patil sisters were her excuse for using Harry Potter in that class, which I thought was very ingenious!). And I am so excited to meet another Doctor Who fan. I am more or less Doctor-obsessed. I started a Doctor Who quotes project over break, just because break seems like a good time to start new things just for fun... I hope I will have time to carry on with it this semester: Doctor Who Quotes. It's an excuse to watch any and all episodes of the show, of course!
    Anyway, if you want to do a Harry-Potter-inspired or Doctor-Who-inspired Storybook for this class, that would be just super as far as I am concerned. One of the totally fun Storybooks from last semester was Doctor-Who-style!
    https://sites.google.com/site/thedoctorandhisrebels/
    I thought the Alice story was the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Disney World before but it was when I was younger. I don't really remember to much from that trip except that I loved riding the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster! Maybe I should go back soon and refresh my memory. I also want to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It was the first series I can remember reading from beginning to end starting when I was in first grade. It would be great to see all the places I've read about come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traveling is my life! I went to London with my aunt back in 2007. It was magical. Exploring the quaint neighborhoods and eclectic shops was a dream come true. I really hope you get to visit! One of my favorite books is 13 Little Blue Envelopes. The main character goes on a scavenger hunt of sorts all over Europe. It's a young adult novel, but if you enjoy London, I would suggest reading it.

    ReplyDelete