Monday, April 6, 2015

Reading Diary A: Nursery Rhymes


Here are my favorites from the Nursery Rhymes reading unit:

Tales: There were two particularly funny nursery rhymes in this section. One is about Punch and Judy. Basically, Punch punched Judy in the eye over a pie. I don't know why I thought that was so funny, but I did. Maybe because it's early in the morning. The other one is about Taffy, a thief. The narrator goes over to Taffy's house and he's never there, but Taffy keeps coming back to his house to steal stuff. He finally catches Taffy at home in bed and flings a poker at his head. Yes, I probably laughed too much at this one. This also had the rhyme about the fat man from Bombay that I used to write my first retelling this semester! :)

Taffy the thief on the prowl
(L. Leslie Brooke)

Songs, Part 1: This section included some classics and favorites of mine. I'm pretty sure most people have heard the rhyme about Little Bo-Peep who lost her sheep. There was also a longer, different version of London bridge is falling down. My favorite was probably Sing a Song of Sixpence because I sang a song with lyrics from this rhyme when I was in choir in high school. It brought back a bunch of old memories that I hadn't thought about in a long time. Near the end was a nursery rhyme I recognized from the movie Ted, "I love my sixpence, my pretty little sixpence." The rhyme isn't as creepy as Mark Walburg made it sound.

Riddles: I love a good riddle and most of these stumped me. I got one of them, though, about a bunch of legs with the answer being a man threw a stool at a dog for stealing hit leg of mutton. I've heard the St. Ives riddle before and I'm pretty sure the answer is one man is going to St. Ives, the narrator. The point of some riddles is to make you think really hard in the wrong direction and the answer is actually really simple; I think the St. Ives riddle is one of these. I kinda got the last one right, too. I thought they might all be the names of one girl.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelby!

    I have already commented on your introduction in a previous week, so I decided to make my second comment here. After reading your three favorites from the Nursery Rhymes unit, I read the stories that you comment on. I thought you did a good job of giving a brief overview of the stories and giving your own thoughts. I also like riddles. When I think about riddles, I think about that scene in Lord of the Rings where Frodo and Gollum are telling riddles to each other. Good job!

    ReplyDelete