Monday, April 13, 2015

Gen. Ed. Review


Since I'm a senior, my education here is nearly complete so I can speak from a lot of experience. If I had to pick one word to describe my Gen. Ed. experience here at OU it would be "thorough". Not only have I taken many Gen. Ed. courses but these courses have come from many different subjects. I've taken English classes like Fiction and Expository Writing. I've taken Spanish classes (3 semesters). I've a taken journalism class, an Information Science class, Chemistry (2 semesters), Zoology, Physics, Business Calculus, Intro to Native American studies, History of the American Musical Theatre and this class, Mythology and Folklore (and probably even more that I can't think of off the top of my head). Basically, I've done a little bit of everything. My education has been very well-rounded and I like that. It's cool to be very proficient in one subject. In fact, I know a lot about psychology, which is my major. However, I think it's even cooler to also know a little bit of everything. I can talk to you about Broadway musicals or tell you how to say something in Spanish (most of the time) or discuss how hormones work or explain to you what Title IX really means or tell you about fascinating psychology experiments or psychological phenomena.

I think my Humanities classes have probably been my favorite classes to take outside of my major. Mythology and Folklore has definitely been one of my very favorites. I also really enjoyed History of the American Musical Theatre. I got to watch several shows throughout the semester and lots of clips of shows. I loved my Fiction class during my very first semester at OU. My professor was British, I loved it any time she said "Harry Potter," and I really liked all the stories we read. I wouldn't change anything about the Gen. Ed. program if I could. I think it allows students to get a broad base of knowledge in a wide range of subjects. Overall, I've been very happy with my college education as a whole.

I can't believe I'm going to graduate soon! (Wikimedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment