Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Week 11 Storytelling: A Dream Come True


By all appearances, it was just another beautiful spring day in Oklahoma. The sky was a brilliant blue, filled with large, puffy white clouds. A slight breeze blew from the south, welcomed respite from the building heat. I made my way along the familiar sidewalk path toward campus and my job with thoughts of homework and graduation heavy on my mind. It seemed like another ordinary day, but it was about to be the farthest thing from ordinary.

"Hey!" a voice called out, seeming to come from out of nowhere. I immediately looked up and scanned the area for the person trying to get someone's (my?) attention. At first I saw no one, but when I turned right I nearly ran into him.

"Um, me?" I stammered, quite confused. I'd never seen this guy before in my life and he was dressed rather strangely. Although it was a crisp 67 degrees outside, he wore a long black robe. He clearly wasn't from around here. I looked around to see if anyone else thought this guys was weird, but no one even glanced at him.

"You're Shelby Brown, aren't you?" he asked, calling my attention back to him.

"How do you know my name?" I responded, pretty shocked that this complete stranger knew who I was.

"Oh, we've known about you for a while now," he explained with a grin. I began to freak out a little bit internally. We? Who is this 'we?'

"What do you want?" I asked hesitantly. And why is everyone giving me the weird looks instead of you? I thought.


"It's pretty simply really: I want you to come with me," he said.

"Um, me? Where? Why?" I was dumbfounded. Who was this random guy coming up to me out of nowhere and asking me to go somewhere with him?

"Yes, you. To Hogwarts. Because you're a witch," he answered.

I burst out laughing.

"Oh, I get it," I said, relieved. "This is some kind of joke. I didn't realize today was April Fools Day! Who put you up to this? Was it my sister? Or Alex? They should have realized this wouldn't work because I'm way too old for Hogwarts."

"I do realize the date is not ideal for this sort of news but this is not a joke. Hogwarts has actually been expanding recently and has opened up a school for older students, those who wish to continue their magical education after 7th year as well as those who never got the chance to start their magical training at the standard age," he explained.

"Right," I said sarcastically, "that's a nice recovery, but I'm still not fooled. Why don't you show me some magic, then? I'll decide what you do in case this is more elaborate than I imagine and you've set something up already." I scanned the area for some inspiration and my eyes landed on a black car parked nearby.

"Turn that black car red," I challenged him. He sighed and shook his head, but took out a rather realistic looking wand and pointed it at the car.

"Clovaria." To my utter disbelief, the jet black frame gradually shifted to red as if blushing. I couldn't stop my jaw from dropping.

"Make that flower larger," I demanded, pointing to a small yellow dandelion.

"Engorgio," he said confidently. The flower, indeed, became three times its original size in only a few second. People walked past without even noticing the oversized dandelion or the man waving a wand around.

"Why isn't anyone else freaking out?" I asked him incredulously.

"Because only you can see me," he said a little exasperated with how difficult I was being. I would have protested this explanation before but now it seemed perfectly reasonable. "Now will you come with me? We need to get you all sorted out so you can start your first year in July."

I nodded my head vigorously but could not manage any words, still in disbelief that this was real life and not just some dream I would wake up from soon. He chuckled at my reaction and instructed me to follow him. Sitting on the ground about thirty feet away was a tattered old shoe I was certain at this point was the portkey that would take me to the place I had dreamed of for many years.

Hogwarts
(Wikipedia)

Author's Note: This story was inspired by Connla and the Fairy Maiden from the book Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs (1892). Connla is entreated to come to the paradise of the immortals by a fairy maiden that only he can see. His father enlists the help of a druid to try to vanquish the fairy, but she comes back and asks Connla again to come with her. This time he does not resist and agrees to go with her. They sail away and are never seen again, at least by anyone in the mortal realm.

I wanted to rewrite this story because I have often dreamed about someone coming along and introducing me to a magical world I never knew existed. This is very much like what happened to Harry Potter at the beginning of the series and I have loved these books since I was a child. Like everyone else, I had hoped that I would get a letter from Hogwarts so I could go study transfigurations and charms and magical creatures. This story is basically just wishful thinking or a crazy fantasy that I made into a full story. Another way I could have gone with this was meeting the Doctor and becoming one of his companions, but I thought the Wizarding World was more fitting since it's a magical realm where as Doctor Who takes place in reality just all over in time and space.

3 comments:

  1. I think we've all dreamed of being whisked away to Hogwarts at some point or another during our lifetimes! How cool would it be, to leave this mundane college stuff behind and go to a completely different world? I think my favorite class would be Herbology, but that's just me.
    Anywho, I think you did a fine job with the story telling and linked it together well with the fairy tale you read, based on the description you gave of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey shelby I like what you did with your retelling. You really put your own twist on it. When I started reading I was trying to figure out which of the British stories you were retelling, but I couldn't till I read you author's notes. Kudos. Also placing this story in the setting of Oklahoma is always a plus. You can never have enough stories about our state. Overall i would say you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelby!

    I enjoyed reading your story. I particularly liked your opening paragraph because it really helped pull the reader in and encouraged the reader to read more. Starting off a story with 'by all appearances' makes me think that something exciting is going to happen and curious about what made this day special. Good job! Who wouldn't want to go to Hogwarts, right? I haven't read a story in this class yet where someone put themselves in the story. Cool idea. I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete